Friday, May 18, 2007

Tour de Cure this weekend

It is time for my first charity ride of the year, the Tour de Cure for The American Diabetes Association. I started doing this ride three years ago. The first two years I traveled to Gloucester MA where my friend Bob lives. They have a beautiful ride of which the first third is along the coast with great views of the ocean. Bob, Carolyn, and Linda would seek me out on the course and surprise me.

I am doing the ride here in the Philly area this year. We start at Central Bucks S. High School and head North / East through Doylestown, Lahaska and New Hope before crossing the river to find a covered bridge in NJ. We return across the river and go through Carversville before returning to Doylestown and the High School. My weather team will earn their keep this weekend and I am expecting good weather for the day. I am looking forward to a great 100K (63 miles).

I am close to completing my goal for the ride. I have one matching gift yet to arrive to put me closer to the goal.

There was great news from the medical front a few months ago. One research study found that by removing stem cells from newly diagnosed Type 1 children, treating the stem cells and returning them that in some cases they were able to eliminate their insulin dependence for a period of time. It isn’t a cure and it is a far way off from becoming something which will be released for the general population but it shows that our efforts are paying off.

No comments: