Thursday, April 26, 2007

RoadBikeRider

One newsletter I read every time is from RoadBikeRider.com. Ed and his team do a terrific job of providing relevant information to us. You can sign up for the newsletter at http://www.roadbikerider.com/

From time to time I will highlight a story they have which I find interesting and think you may also. They also have a Forum at http://forums.roadbikereview.com/

Items in this weeks newsletter concern Floyd Landis and Ian Basso's problems. I am glad that they don't test me for TastyKakes and Cheese Steaks -- I would fail every time.

Some other comments worthy of your view are concerning how to ride safely in the street. Under the Headline of Wave, Don't Weave there are several good comments about what I call "Playing in Traffic". I usually ride 3 feet from the curb or side of the road surface. That is the distance from your nose to the end of your finger on an outstretched hand. It puts me close to the place where the cars right wheels would normally be. It does two things.
  1. It draws the drivers attention to me because I am in the roadway. They can easily pass and if they get too close I have room to move without going over the handlebars.
  2. The road surface, especially if it has been dry and hot for a while, is less slick from the accumulation of oils, etc. because of the car tires "cleaning" the road.

If there is a stretch where there are parked cars with a gap between clusters of cars that are parked I will stay out in the roadway after passing the first set of parked cars rather than move back in to the curb and then back out again at the next parked car. Initially I thought it courteous to move in and then back out but in reality I find that it confuses the drivers. Somehow they don't expect me to move back out when I am coming up on a parked car. I stay out until I have passed all the cars and then move back in. I call it riding consistently and I think it helps the drivers respect my place on the road. It works for me.

Safe Riding

No comments: